Friday, July 16, 2010

You shall remain nameless....

So I am on this site today, I get frequent emails from this site about my growing baby, and I came across something that bothered me!!

"Today's society puts a lot of pressure on new moms to breastfeed. No doubt breast milk is the perfect first food. However, there are many reasons why breastfeeding just doesn't work for some women and their babies, including illness, discomfort, and frustration.

Guilt over not breastfeeding can hit especially hard if you had planned during pregnancy to do so but then circumstances made it impossible or more difficult than you'd expected.

Both breast milk and commercial formula nourish growing babies. If you've given up on breastfeeding — or are thinking of doing so — be sure to discuss your choice with your doctor or a certified lactation consultant. Talk through your feelings and don't be too hard on yourself. The main thing to remember is that how you feed your baby is ultimately not as important as providing love and care"

Really? Really? I mean for goodness sakes people!

I immediately typed out an email informing this site of my disgust in their post. I don't think society puts enough pressure on women to breastfeed, if anything I think formula feeding is put on women! I'm glad they agree that breastmilk is the PERFECT first food. What a relief that they actually know that part! Sometimes, yes, breastfeeding doesnt work. The reasons they listed are crap. That's right, C R A P. (Okay, the illness, maybe they have something there) but discomfort and frustration?! Really? Yes world, give up because you are frustrated. Gosh if that were our motto, could you imagine the stuff that we would not have? I mean, I'm sure it wasn't easy to invent electric...but it happened, he pushed past the frustration and overcame whatever obstacles! And tada, we have electric! And discomfort? Really, I am a fair skinned girl, the first three weeks of nursing were the worst for me. It was awful. But no one told me I was just doing it wrong (where was the pushy society then? I was at my wits end, almost gave up here...) nope. With the help of my loving supportive husband I pushed through the pain and my little baby and I figured out how to nurse properly, and the pain went away. And those three weeks that were awful are a mere memory to the great 19 months of nursing that followed.

How you feed your baby is just as important as the love and care you provide. Babies need all of this. All of it. Why don't you read up on the nourishment that formula will offer your baby....I swear when I was nursing my baby...there was a huge recall on formula and mothers had to worry about what kind and what was in it...not me, I made mine, and I knew what I put in it. I just get so angry when I read things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment